Sunday, January 07, 2007

Feed Me, I'm Yours by Vicki Lansky

This is such a nice book. Finally a cookbook for toddlers that isn't sanctimoniously suggesting tofu, organic pinto beans and everything whole wheat as the solution. I'm sure it helps that it was written 30 years ago by a group of moms as a fundraiser for their playgroup because it is actually full of practical advice. Why it even has recipes for jello salad and suggests covering any and all vegetables with cheese. This is a book that I can actually use and it will still help me get more nutritional variety into their tiny mouths.

additions to peanut butter
- with ground raisins mixed with fruit juice
- with grated carrots
-topped with applesauce
- and banana slices
- and cream cheese, blended with 2 tablespoons orange juice or honey

Un "beet" able Gelatin
1 jar strained baby beets
cold water
1 3 ounce package strawberry jello
1 cup boiling water

Chill strained beets thoroughly, then combine with cold water to make 1 cup liquid. Set aside. Dissolve jello in boiling water and add beet mixture. Chill.

2 comments:

Southern Mini said...

The beet recipe sounds better than the Harvard beets I inflicted on my guests. They tasted OK but had too much thin sauce. Jello it a good idea

Two Mittens said...

I don't know what we'd do without peanut butter! It's always fun to get new ideas.